Best Dog Treat Recipes - Home
Tools for Kitchen
Best Food Dehydrator
Best Food Dehydrator
For Dehydrating Dog Treats
The best food dehydrator for making chicken jerky for your dog or for dehydrating dog treats depends mostly on how you plan to use your food dehydrator…
If you are buying a food dehydrator strictly for dehydrating your homemade dog treats, the best dehydrator for you will be different from the dehydrator for someone who plans to use it to make jerky and dry vegetables from their garden for their family.
Dehydrators for Sale
Here is a selection of the higher rated and more popular dehydrators.
Simply click on a picture or the link below it
for more information or to purchase the item.
Nesco Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator FD-75A
This dehydrator features a top-mounted fan, which provides more uniform drying, quiet operation and a temperature control. Five trays come with it, and you can add up to 12 trays total. No timer. Footprint is about 13” in diameter. 1 year warranty. A top selling unit on Amazon.
Excalibur 3926TB Food Dehydrator
This 9 tray dehydrator features a rear-mounted fan, temperature control, 26 hour timer and a 10 year warranty! A larger footprint, 17” wide by 19”deep, it is made in the USA.
Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster Express 4-Tray Food Dehydrator
This Nesco dehydrator comes with temperature control and 4 trays, but you can operate it with up to 12 trays. About 13” in diameter. 1 year warranty.
Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
Presto uses a bottom-mounted fan and a preset temperature. It includes 4 trays, but you can add up to 4 more. About 15” in diameter. 600 watts, 1 year warranty.
Nesco FD-37A American Harvest Food Dehydrator
This Nesco dehydrator has a preset temperature and comes with 4 trays, but can be expanded to 7 trays. About 14” in diameter. 400 watts, 1 year warranty.
Waring Pro DHR30 Professional Dehydrator
This Waring dehydrator has 5 trays and a bottom mounted fan, with fan only, low, medium and high temperature settings. Footprint is 12” wide by 14” deep. 620 watts and 1 year warranty.
L'Equip 306200 500-Watt 6-Tray Food Dehydrator
The L'Equip Dehydrator features an adjustable temperature control with computer-controlled sensor and comes with 6 trays. Footprint is 12” wide by 17” deep. 500 watts and 10 year warranty.
Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator
This Excalibur dehydrator is similar to, and less expensive than, the 2926 model above. The main difference is that this unit does not have a timer. Users like both units.
I always try to get the best value for my money and it’s hard to find better deals than at Amazon for Food Dehydrators.
How to Choose
The Best Dehydrator for Your Needs
There are a number of factors to consider when choosing the best food dehydrator for you, including how much you will use it, and how you will use it…
The capacity of this Excalibur model makes it the
best food dehydrator for a dog bakery or heavy use.
How Will You Use Your Food Dehydrator?
People buy food dehydrators for different reasons. Here are the most common:
- Make chicken jerky for dogs - After the recalls of dog chicken jerky from China, many people concluded that the safest way to give their dogs chicken jerky, is to make it themselves. And it is really easy!
- Dehydrating dog treats - You can use your food dehydrator to finish off (completely dry) your homemade dog treats, or you can use it to do the whole job, eliminating the baking step in your oven. Dehydrate them overnight, and they are finished in the morning when you awaken!
- Camping - Ever bought expensive dried foods to take camping (no refrigeration)? With a food dehydrator, you can make your own dried foods and combine them to make dried meals for camping. You’ll save an incredible amount of money this way, and you’ll avoid added chemicals, etc.
- Garden produce - Whether you freeze your extra garden vegetables or can them, there will come a time when you run out of freezer space or canning jars. Drying vegetables and herbs is so much easier, and you don’t need refrigeration to keep them. Dried veggies are wonderful when you are making soups or stews. Just grab a few and throw them in. I love the ease of using dried vegetables!
- Hikers and bikers - Dried fruit leathers and fruit and trail mix made with dried fruit, make perfect backpack snacks to keep up your energy when hiking, biking or snowshoeing.
- Preppers - If you are putting away a large amount of food for a rainy day, dried fruits and vegetables take up a very small space compared to other methods of preservation. They last for a good while, and they do not require energy to keep them.
- Crackers, corn chips, granola and flatbreads - Use a food dehydrator to make your own homemade crackers and flatbreads. You’ll never go back to store-bought ones!
- Crafts - Last but not least, many people use their food dehydrators for crafts. You can make really cool dough items, Christmas ornaments and other craft projects in a dehydrator!
What the Best Food Dehydrator
So which features make the best food dehydrator? Here are some to look for:
- Trays - How many trays are included? Can you purchase more if you want them? What are the trays made of (plastic, stainless steel)?
- Tray accessories - Does the dehydrator come with sheets to make fruit leather? Can you purchase them? How about screens for fine items like herbs?
- How easy is it to clean? - Are the trays dishwasher safe? Top or bottom of the dishwasher? Are they easy to clean by hand?
- Drying space - How much drying space do you get? This determines how many dog treats or vegetables you can dry at a time.
- How easy to use? - Does the dehydrator come with an instruction book?
- Temperature control - Does it have one?
- Timer - A nice feature, depending on how you will use your dehydrator.
- On-off switch - Is there one? ..or just unplug it. You may or may not care.
- Size and weight - How big is it? Will you store it on the counter in the kitchen, or will you have to carry it to a storage area?
- Fan - Is there a fan and where is it located? Depending on where the fan is, you may have to rotate the shelves during the drying period.
Of course, there may be other features that are important to you. But this should get you started to finding the best food dehydrator for your family.
If you would like to learn more about dehydrating, this is a good resource: The Dehydrator Bible: Includes over 400 Recipes.
Where would you like to go now?